Online Applications

Custom Search

Tuesday 9 September 2014

We got our hands on the Apple Watch


We got our hands on the Apple Watch


The rumors, flying for many moons now, have turned out to be true. Meet Apple’s first wearable, the aptly, if uncreatively, named Watch. While the name’s a bit mundane, Apple’s making a big effort to make the thing as customizable as it can, with two sizes, three materials and a slew of different watchbands. We didn’t get to put our fingers on every permutation of the Watch, but we did get to try on a couple of them. Join me after the break, won’t you, and find out what they’re like.


Gallery | 15 Photos

Apple Watch hands-on





Unfortunately, Apple wouldn’t let me actually interact with the Watch’s UI, as the demo units were simply rolling through screenshots while it was strapped to my wrist. I got to try on both the regular polished steel model with a leather loop strap and one of the aluminum Sport versions. As you’d expect, the build quality of each model was impeccable, with a smooth-scrolling crown control and a satisfyingly solid “snick” happening when pressing it or the button situated alongside. Whether gold, steel or aluminum, it’s clear that every Watch has been designed and crafted with care — and manufactured to Apple’s usual lofty standards. That said, it’s still a fairly bulky thing to have on your wrist (in both sizes), and no matter how many bands Apple makes for it, we’re not sure that the Watch’s looks will appeal to everyone. It’s not always hip to be a square in the smartwatch game, after all.


The bands were both comfy, though I preferred the look and feel of the leather loop. The magnets inside the leather seem to do the job of clasping well, though perhaps without the same magnetic force as those on the MagSafe connectors found on Apple laptops. As for the rubber sport band, I had some trouble fitting the metal nubbin into its appropriate hole, and I got a little pinch on the underside of my wrist when tucking it into the band. I imagine I’d get the hang of fitting it quickly and painlessly eventually, but my first time strapping it on was not all pleasant.



Still, I did get to see the Watch in action, albeit only under the control of an Apple employee. During our brief demo, the wearable performed admirably, switching from app to app, and zooming in and out with the crown. That crown control, along with the swipes and pressure-sensitive touch UI, seemed to work well together, and from afar, it looks like the most user-friendly way to handle a wearable we've seen. That said, it was clear why Apple didn't let me futz with a Watch on my own -- long-presses and the Taptic Engine in the Watch didn't always work.


In my short time with Apple's wearable, I can certainly see its potential, so I'm looking forward to seeing what it can really do once it's ready for release.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive